Woot Events Social Media Graphic
Or
Join the LAN Party scene!
Anything goes. Vote up threads you enjoy.

#1 : : September 5, 2012. @ 06:13 PM GMT Post Rating: Neutral  

gnat
Website Steam Twitter YouTube
Creator of LAN Party List

Planetary Annihilation - Has the LAN Party RTS returned?

planetary_annihilation_lan_party_rts.jpg

In the wake of Starcraft 2's utter domination of the RTS scene, a new crowd-funded Real-Time Strategy game has emerged from the creators of Total Annihilation.
Full LAN support from the very beginning.

The Planetary Annihilation team has pledged full LAN support from the start. In contrast to Starcraft 2, which launched without LAN support and will likely never receive it. (Source: Interview with Dustin Browder by Kennigit of Team Liquid, 18:00).

Linux becomes first-class.

Linux gamers can get excited because this title will be released on Windows, Mac and Linux simultaneously. This is able to happen, in part, because this project is crowd funded.

planetary_annihilation_linux_support.png

Massive Scale and No Skill Cap?

Planetary Annihilation is being promoted as a Total Annihilation-style RTS game, featuring a scale-economy that continually gets exponentially larger, as well as a nearly unlimited unit cap (the same system utilized in Total Annihilation's successor, Supreme Commander 1). This creates a game where a skill cap is virtually non-existent, and a highly competitive esports scene can effectively be built around. As Dario "TheLittleOne" Wunsch, Starcraft 2 pro gamer, has commented:

TheLittleOne wrote:

"I could literally utilize 5000 APM in Supreme Commander 1, and it would not be spamming. Like, if I had 5000 APM, I still wouldn't play an optimal game, I still wouldn't be able to micro every single unit or dodge every single shot. ... In Starcraft 2 I think if you have 500 APM you're going to get to some point where of course you could still gain 0.01% of advantage over someone with less than 500 APM, but Supreme Commander just does not have those limits. It's like a sandbox RTS where anything is possible."  -- (Source: Forged Alliance Forever Launch Interview with LiquidTLO, 13:00)

Want to play? It's crowd-funded, so invest early and reserve your copy from the Planetary Annihilation kickstarter!

Never get discouraged, just let your nerdy flourish.

#2 : : September 13, 2012. @ 06:09 PM GMT Post Rating: Neutral  

skuzeeII
Magnavox Odyssey

Re: Planetary Annihilation - Has the LAN Party RTS returned?

This is so awesome! I'm so glad I found it in time to give them my money

#3 : : September 17, 2012. @ 04:03 PM GMT Post Rating: Neutral  

gnat
Website Steam Twitter YouTube
Creator of LAN Party List

Re: Planetary Annihilation - Has the LAN Party RTS returned?

Planetary Annihilation has achieved full-funded status with all milestones reached.

We'll be getting a full-on orchestral music score, a ton of different planet types, etc.

Never get discouraged, just let your nerdy flourish.